From what I remember, the first and last time I read The Little Prince was when I was still in Highschool which was about 13 years ago. But the book is such a classic so I had no choice but to read the book that wants us to remember the young little prince that reminded us that we were all a child once and that we should always carry that child with us.
Who will ever forget the seemingly naive and child-like purity in him? I think Roemmers tries hard to portray the simple life altering questions of the young prince before. He strives to simplify the story thru conversations with the young prince and teach him about life thru metaphors and instilling some pictures in the book. However, it still comes out as a heavy conversation for a child to understand.
Highlights of the Book:
- All those warnings to protect us as adults, in fact distance us so much from others that touching someone or even looking them in the eye has us uncomfortable and anxious.
- If you’re convinced you can do it, then you most certainly can. But if you believe you can’t, that practically guarantees you won’t manage it.
- Humans have developed a great capacity for justifying themselves. They blame their flaws on a lack of love or education or on all the suffering they’ve had to deal with.
- The longer we delay in confronting the obstacle in our path, the bigger the difficulties grow and the smaller we become.
- We should always be ready to abandon the comfort of our position and face our problems again and again until we’re satisfied we’e resolved them and make progress.
- The best way to solve a problem is to think of it only as a difficulty. Then you’ll be able to approach it with a positive attitude that sharpens the mind and beats a path towards more solutions in the future.
- Be thankful for difficulties as that will allow you to grow and to keep moving up the path to perfection.
- Sometimes you’ll discover that when you change your point of view, the obstacle disappears because often the difficulty is in us – and it’s nothing but our rigid, short sighted way of seeing things.
- You create the reality around you.
- Before we improve anything on this world, there is a lot we need to improve in ourselves. There’s only one way of changing the world and that’s by changing yourself.
- Whatever cards you’re dealt with, you should be grateful for a life that gives you the opportunity to evolve. Fate always finds a way to make us learn the things we resist the most, the things we least want to accept.
- All of us have to go on an arduous journey into the depths of our being. And no conquest can offer us a greater reward.
- There’s always something we can do, even if we don’t believe it ourselves.
- How do I grow up without becoming serious? When we’re young, we go out into the world and find it’s very different from the one we got to know through our parents. — Injustice, violence, shallowness and lack of love torment us. And instead of spreading light and joy around us, our spirit starts to tremble in the face of reality’s painful but unstoppable advance. As more importance is given to having and not having, the search is aimed at something that lies outside of us which allows us to avoid having to look inside ourselves.
- The most important thing is to be as attentive and aware as possible, with our senses awakened and our ability to love utterly intact, so that we can exist right here and now, and enjoy life and be creative, trapped in neither the past nor the future.
- Differences are the first things that attract us and when we admire that, we make it unique. It’s the same tings that interest us and complement us are also used to separate and divide us. The important thing is that you don’t stop being yourself in order to fit with what other people want. We’re all born princes, it’s just some don’t know it and others forget. My kingdom only exists in me.
- If you manage to communicate something truly important even if it is only to the small group around you, you can be sure that the light will forge its way through a whole horizon of shadows just as the glow of a distant star travels thousand of years of darkness to reach us.
- Don’t betray your desires and don’t bury them inside yourself until they die of starvation. Learn to bring what’s real together with what you yearn for. In all that you do, give the best of yourself so that your spirit is returned to you, and offer the best of yourself to each person so that they an return your love. You’ll see that the world will become a magnifying mirror, reflecting back at you everything that you gave without self interest. Because the only way to surround yourself with smiles is to smile and the only way to surround yourself with love is to give it to others.
- Love yourself, and you’ll be able to love others. Love your dreams so that you can use them to build a world that is warm and beautiful, full of smiles and hugs. If you really believe it, and build it up bit by bit, that world will become real for you. And it will be the reward for all your worthy endeavors. It’s only people who truly love are like stars, and their light keeps shining on us after they’re gone.
- Any change means leaving a part of ourselves behind. It’s the only way to grow and make progress. It’s painful but we know that the experience will enrich us. As we go little by little, we let go of everything dispensable and hold on only to what is essential. The truth is that without difficulties along the way, it would be impossible to make progress as human beings and discover our true nature. It is at really critical moments that the best of us comes to light.
- To live better is to draw fully on everything that life offers, and be open to anything that might enrich us emotionally, materially or spiritually. Happiness comes from being and not having. If we were perfect, if we had everything, how will we relate to each other? The simplest and most direct path to happiness is making the people around us happy.
- Ultimately, if you dedicate your life to finding the best in people, you’ll end uup finding the best in yourself.
- What is a problem? A problem is like a door you haven’t got a key to.
- The first thing to do is to see if the problem really is yours, if it’s your path that it’s blocking. If the problem is really yours, then you have to find the right key and put it into the lock in the right sort of way. Some people don’t even find the key – and not for the lack of imagination but because they are unwilling to try two or three times with the keys that they have, and sometimes they don’t try at all. They want someone to hand them the key or even worse, to come and open the door for them. What happens to people who don’t manage to open the door? There’s no point in losing our tempers, banging on the door and doing ourselves damage. How do I find the right key? If you keep on asking your question over and over again, you’ll always end up finding the answer. If you persevere and try all the keys you’ve got, eventually, you’ll open the door.
2. How can you love yourself while knowing your own flaws?
- To love and forgive yourself, it’s enough to want to become a better person and to accept that you have always done the best that you could. True love is free and knows no limits It doesn’t seek to satisfy its own needs but concentrates on what’s good for the loved one. If you search truthfully, you will end up finding a reason to love yourself and you will discover that you are a unique and wonderful being.
Ultimately, if you want a book that will teach you a two or three about living the right kind of life, pick this book up. But if you’re looking for something that resembles how the little prince is written, you’ll be disappointed.
Once a group of 50 people was attending a seminar.
Suddenly the speaker stopped and decided to do a group activity. He started giving each one a balloon. Each one was asked to write his/her name on it using a marker pen. Then all the balloons were collected and put in another room.
Now these delegates were let in that room and asked to find the balloon which had their name written, within 5 minutes. Everyone was frantically searching for their name, colliding with each other, pushing around others and there was utter chaos.
At the end of 5 minutes no one could find their own balloon.
Now each one was asked to randomly collect a balloon and give it to the person whose name was written on it.
Within minutes everyone had their own balloon.
The speaker began— exactly this is happening in our lives. Everyone is frantically looking for happiness all around, not knowing where it is.
Our happiness lies in the happiness of other people. Give them their happiness; you will get your own happiness.
And this is the purpose of human life.
– I saw this in facebook.
Shut my mouth and let friend experience false happiness? Or be the honest friend and burst the bubble?
So, What’s it gonna be?:l :s