I’ve read a lot of sad, moving YA books. A lot. It even says that this book is Eleanor & Park meets The Fault in the Stars. I’ve read both. I liked them, not one of my favorites (because everyone seems to talking about it) and definitely not woah.
So I don’t really understand Why of all the books I’ve read, This, THIS made me cry. In my case, it’s different. It’s difficult for a story to make me cry. It has the tendency to keep me sad. But CRY? There were tears running down my cheeks for godssakes! You get the point right?
On to the plot: Violet Markey, one of the popular kids, dating the similar hunk of the school, the captain. She is chained by her sad past when she and her sister got into a car accident. And she survived. Theodore Finch, a popular kid as well but not considered cool. He’s in the freak popular group. He does what he wants whenever he wants. He has a fucked up father who hits him physically. He remarried and has a new family while his mother is left with having to welcome each day with sadness.
They met when they were about to commit suicide. They were partners in a quest to discover indiana. And in the course of this project, fell in love.
Wondering what the ending was? Read the book and find out why it made me cry.
Some of the lines I liked from the novel:
- A perfect day. from start to finish When nothing terrible or sad or ordinary happens. Do you think that’s possible?
- You need to be there to really appreciate its splendor.
- Awake is that everything in you is alive ad aching and making up for lost time.
- The great thing about this life of ours is that you can be someone different to be everybody.
- ”I can already feel myself falling hard”.
- All because she smiled at me. But it was a damn good smile. A genuine one, which is hard to come by these days.
- So come on. Let’s go. Let’s count for somethig. Let’s get off that ledge.
- We have to be willing to go where the road takes us. This means the grand, the small, the bizarre, the poetic, the beautiful.
- Love is truly the great manifesto – the urge to be, to count for something, and if death must come, to die valiantly, with acclamation.
- I’ve always been different. But to me, different is normal.
- Arrange whatever pieces come your way.
- When you consider things like stars, our affairs don’t seem to matter very much, do they?
- I feel a thousand capacities spring up in me. I am arch, gay, languid, melancholy by turns.
- You make me feel gold, flowing.
- You don’t dress to please a girl – especially not a girl like that. You dress to please yourself. If she doesnt like you for you, then you don’t need her.
- We’re only guaranteed right now.
- ”Actually, standing next to you makes it feel like Mt. Everest”.
- When we’re in the act of wandering, we need to be present, not watching it through lens.
- The ground can feel higher than a bell tower when you’re standing next to the right person.
- You have been in every way, all that you can be. If anybody could save me, it would have been you.
- I wonder what it’s like to walk down the street, safe and easy in you skin, and just blend right in.
- I want to know a perfect day.
- I know life well enough to know you can’t count on things staying around or standing still, no matter how much you want them to.
- The problem with people is that sometimes they forget that the most of the time, it’s the small things that matter.
- There’s a built-in ending to everything.
- You are all the colors in one, at full brightness.
- There is only now.
- The air around us feels charged, and electric, like if you were to strike a match, the air, — everything might explode.
- There’s not enough water in this world to wash away my dirty thoughts.
- It’s the kind of kiss that makes me lose track of everything.
- She is oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium and phosphorus. The same elements that are inside the rest of us. But I can’t help but think that she’s more than that to make her stand apart from everybody else.
- ”For what it’s worth, you showed me something, Ultraviolet — there is such a things as a perfect day”.
- ”No more winter at all, finch. You brought me spring”.
- ”The only person I want to see — My Jovian – Plutonian Gravitational Effect”
- Then you will shine among them like the stars in the sky.
”You can’t do this to me. You were the one who lectured me about living. You were the one who said I had to get out. But then you leave. You can’t just do that. I’ll never forgive you for leaving me. I just wished you could forgive me. you saved my life. ”
”You make me happy. Whenever you’re around, I’m safe inside your smile.
You make me handsome. Whenever I fell my nose just seems a bit too round.
You make me special and God knows I’ve longed to be that kind of guy to have around.
You make me love you and that could be the greatest things my heart was ever fit to do.
You make me lovely and it’s so lovely to be lovely to the one I love. ”