The Surprising science behind why everything you know about success is mostly wrong.
Chapter 3: Do Quitters never win and Winners never quit?
- Creative individuals frame their experiences. They regard failure as a learning experience. They try to build upon its lessons in their future endeavors.
- The capacity to continue trying despite repeated setbacks was associated with a more optimistic outlook in life.
- Sometimes quitting is the smartest choice and giving up, when done right can make you a huge success too.
- ‘Self Talk’ – It turns out when these words are positive, they have a huge effect on your mental toughness, your ability to keep going.
- We’re not always right that we ‘can’t do it’. Sometimes there’s a way out that we didn’t see because we gave up.
- ‘Depressive Realism’ – optimists lie to themselves. But if we all stop believing anything can change, nothing ever will. We need a bit of fantasy to keep us going.
- It all comes down from the stories you tell yourself about the world. And that’s something you can change.
- Optimists shape their stories according to 3 Ps: permanence, pervasiveness and personalization.
- If life is all about pleasure, then when it ceases to be fun or immediately beneficial, we quit. When we step outside the wish for comfort, when we live for something greater than ourselves, we no longer have to fight the pain, we accept the pain as a sacrifice. And we don’t give up. It’s the stories we tell ourselves that keep us going. They can be a higher truth. Or in many cases, they don’t need to be true at all.
- Frankl: What is to give light must endure burning.
- Stories are the invisible undercurrent that promotes success in a shocking number of the most important areas of life. Stories are a filter, imposing order on an often chaotic world. Stories remove information. They make recollections less accurate. They are deliberately constructed, but life often isn’t. Stories can keep us going because of their inaccuracy. Stories aren’t perfect pictures of the world, but they allow us to succeed for this very reason. You weren’t ‘born to do anything in particular but when your ‘story’ says you were ‘born’ to do something, you perform better and persist.
- A healthy minds tells itself flattering lies.
- ‘Scrooge Effect’ – when you take a little time to think about death, you become more kind and generous to others. You put aside short-term goals for a moment and consider who you really want to be.
- Fate is that thing we cannot avoid. It comes for us despite how we try to dun from it. Destiny is the thing we must chase, what we must bring to fruition. It’s what we strive toward and make true.
- We are what we pretend to be. If you want to be a knight, act like a knight.
- ‘Cognitive reappraisal’ – telling yourself a different story about what is happening. By engaging in cognitive reappraisal and telling ourselves a different story about what is happening, we an subvert the entire willpower paradigm.
Make it a game. Make your problems, struggles or goals a game and make it WNGF – Winnable, Novel Challenges, Goals and Feedback
- Winnable – Each game has clear rules. We intuitively know that and it makes us very positive about our chances if we persist.
- Novel Challenges – Good games make sure we’re always stimulates by something just a little different, honing our attention.
- Goals – Good games are very clear what you need to do to win. They serve to focus you and guide decision making.
- Feedback – the best way to motivate people is by facilitating small wins. Once a small win has been accomplished, forces are set in motion that favor another small win.
The Upside of Quitting
- Everything we do in life is a trade – off. Choosing to do one thing means not doing something else.
- Opportunity Cost – the price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
- Quit doesn’t have to be the opposite of grit. It has to be Strategic Quitting.
- Once you’ve found something you’re passionate about, quitting secondary things can be an advantage, because it frees up time to do that number one thing.
- Peter Drucker: time is the most important resource. Getting rid of everything that wasn’t moving the needle when it came to achieving your goals.
- Know your number one priority. Then start quitting stuff that isn’t as important and see what happens.
- You can do anything once you stop trying to do everything.
- Try things. Quit what fails. Then apply grit.
- The more experiments you make, the better. Fail fast, fail cheap.
- Moving on from dead end pursuits is essential to the discovery of more promising paths.
So don’t be afraid to do some experiments and quit the ones that don’t work. It can lead to great things. You need to quit some things to find out what to be gritty at. And you need to try stuff knowing you might quit some of it to open yourself up to the luck and opportunities that can make you successful.
Last week, I attended a training on Project Management. 😀 Sharing with you what I learned. 😀
4 PHASE PROCESS
- Clearly define the project’s objectives as thorough as possible.
- Organize the right people and all necessary resources – Work within your resources
- Create a rational why the project is needed
- Know the scope and limitation (budget, time and people)PLANNING
- Set a SMARTER Goal (Specific, measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Time Bound, Energizing and Rewarding)
- Design activities that are aligned with the goal and decide in what order and within what time frame.
- Identify options (Risk Management and Contingency Plans)
- Monitor the progress and schedule
- Keep people motivated
- Ensure proper utilization of resources
TOOLS IN PROJECT MANAGEMENT
- Discuss learning and milestones
WBS (Work Breakdown Structure)
- Roadmap of project which breaks down the total work required into separate tasks and group them into logical hierarchy.
- Horizontal Bar Chart that provides graphical illustration of a schedule that helps to plan, coordinate and track specific tasks.
I have been following this site for almost a year now and there is honestly not a day where I don’t learn anything. So I am sharing this with you,
“There’s a story of two explorers walking through the jungle. Suddenly they hear a tiger roar.
One explorer sits down and takes a pair of running shoes out of his backpack.
‘You’re crazy, you’ll never outrun a tiger’, says the other explorer.
‘I don’t have to outrun the tiger’, he replies. ‘I just have to outrun you.'”
Monitoring, bench marking and understanding your competitors isn’t a nice to have. It’s fundamental to your business. Trott goes beyond saying you have to monitor your competitors. Instead, you have to adopt a different mindset.
A mindset that obsessively looks for weaknesses and jumps on any available advantage. And one that never assumes you can’t get an edge.
Predatory Thinking involves looking at a challenge you can’t solve and getting upstream of it – changing it into a challenge you can solve.
Roman Mercado of Squad Zip.
Mr. Pocholo Cid
Our speaker which happens to be my favorite of all: Mr. Edwin Totanes, responsible for what we all have been drinking today: C2 Tea Drink.
And Mr. Kakam Gabunada.
Long been wanting to wear that skin tight dress you bought 8 months ago? Fret no more. Sarah Blakely just saved your day!
Who is this Sarah Blakely you may ask? – No pressure here but she’s only the Youngest Self Made Billionaire in the world, according to Forbes. At the age of 27, she founded her multi billionaire business out from her frustration to wear her white pants!
Since then, Oprah Winfrey named spanx as her ‘Favorite Product‘. Spanx achieved $4 million sales and $10 million sales on its first and second year respectively. Spanx also sold 8,000 pairs in 6 minutes on home shopping channel.
She was listed as the 93rd Most Powerful Woman in the World in 2014, 91 in 2015 and 90th in 2016. She also scored 17th as America’s Self Made Billionaires in 2016. Named as one of the Global Game Changers in 2016
And who is wearing Spanx?
Who are these people?
Tyrah Banks, Kim Kardashian, Kylie Jenner, Jennifer Lopez, Beyonce Knowles, gwyneth Paltrow, Jennifer Garner, Eva Longoria, Jessica Alba, Cate Blanchett, Marcia Cross, Katie Holmes, Oprah Winfrey and so much more!
You may check out: SPANX
or head on to any Rustan’s Department Stores in Makati, Shangrila, Alabang, Gateway, Cebu or in Adora, Greenbelt.
SHAPE YOUR LIFE WITH SPANX!
Because I’m currently taking my Economics Management Course, I stumbled upon this term – which I think is very relevant in everyday situations (gas, telecommunications). So what is it really?
Price Collusion is prohibited by law. It is a strategy slash treachery that firms practice where they keep the price of a product at a price higher than the normal or average price with the goal of receiving larger profits or cornering the market. This is done by a group of firms.
**Cartel — is the group of firms who are involved in Price Collusion.
I came across this article on facebook and is definitely worth sharing. It’s level of reference and ‘relatability’ is high.
COMMENCEMENT ADDRESS OF SHERYL SANDBERG
- when life sucks you under, you can kick against the bottom, break the surface, and breathe again. I learned that in the face of the void — or in the face of any challenge — you can choose joy and meaning.
- The easy days ahead of you will be easy. It is the hard days — the times that challenge you to your very core — that will determine who you are. You will be defined not just by what you achieve, but by how you survive.
- Personalization – the belief that we are at fault. This is different from taking responsibility, which you should always do. This is the lesson that not everything that happens to us happens because of us.Not taking failures personally allows us to recover — and even to thrive.
- Pervasiveness – the belief that an event will affect all areas of your life. There’s no place to run or hide from the all-consuming sadness.There is more to life than your grief. The world keeps on revolving.
- Permanence – the belief that the sorrow will last forever. For months, no matter what I did, it felt like the crushing grief would always be there.
think about how much worse things could be.Finding gratitude and appreciation is key to resilience.find that gratitude — not just on the good days, but on the hard ones, when you will really need it.
I hope that you live your life — each precious day of it — with joy and meaning. I hope that you walk without pain — and that you are grateful for each step.
And when the challenges come, I hope you remember that anchored deep within you is the ability to learn and grow. You are not born with a fixed amount of resilience. Like a muscle, you can build it up, draw on it when you need it. In that process you will figure out who you really are — and you just might become the very best version of yourself.
This is one of the striking videos during the shared training.
Please click on this:Words will change your world
We use words every day to communicate, to express our feelings and thoughts, but we often forget how powerful they can be and how important it is to choose them with care if we wish to attract love, happiness and success.
Please watch THIS
A turkey was chatting with the a bull, ”I would love to be able to get to the top of that tree” sighed the turkey, ”but I haven’t got the energy. ”Well, why don’t you nibble on my droppings? They’re packed with nutrients”, replied the bull.
The turkey pecked at a lump of shit and found that it gave him enough strength to reach the lowest branch of the tree. The next day, after eating some more shit, he reached the second branch. Finally, on the fourth day, there he was proudly perched at the top of the tree.
Soon, he was spotted by a farmer, who shot the turkey out of the tree.
Management Lesson: Bullshit might get you to the top, but it won’t keep you there.
A crow was sitting on a tree, doing nothing all day. A rabbit asked him, “Cam I also sit like you and do nothing all day long?”.
The crow answered, ”Sure. Why not?”. So the rabbit sat on the ground below the crow, an rested.
A fox jumped on the rabbit and ate it.
Management Lesson: TO BE SITTING AND DOING NOTHING, YOU MUST BE ON TOP.
If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start. This could mean losing girlfriends, wives, relatives, jobs. And maybe your mind. It could mean not eating for three or four days. It could mean freezing on a park bench. It could mean jail. It could mean derision. It could mean mockery, isolation. Isolation is the gift. All the others are a test of your endurance. Of how much you really want to do it. And you’ll do it, despite rejection in the worst odds. And it will be better than anything else you can imagine.
Barbie makes a come back. And it did got my attention. 😀
When I was a kid, I’d wish for a barbie every year. I even resented my sister for giving me hand-me-downs. It was okay for me to have just 1 barbie. I was concerned with her clothes and things.
I commend the person who made this campaign. It sticks out. It dug deep thru the motivation and the essence of they toy. It’s not just about playing with toys who look like real people. I
IT’S ABOUT BELIEVING THAT YOU CAN BE ANYTHING YOU SET YOUR MIND TO.
An excerpt from the book, Customer Relationship Management by HBR
Customers are fundamentally changing the dynamics of the marketplace. The market has now become a forum in which consumers play an active role in creating and competing for value.
In this way, managers were able to identify new business opportunities and find new ways to deploy the company’s intellectual assets.
At a minimum, managers must come to grips with four fundamental realities in harnessing customer competence.
1. ENCOURAGING AN ACTIVE DIALOGUE
Companies no longer have a monopoly or even an advantage in information access. Engaging in a dialogue with customers who know what they want requires richer and subtler forms of exchange. A dialogue must evolve – or die. Companies should be able tofind ways to process what they learn from customers so they can bring the dialogue forward and keep the customer’s interest.
2. MOBILIZING CUSTOMER COMMUNITIES
Customers in the new economy are finding it easier to form, on their own, self-selecting virtual communities. Customer communities can exercise a powerful influence on the market. The power of such communities in large measure is from the speed with which they can be mobilized. Word spreads so fast on the internet that people refer to word of mouth as ‘viral marketing’. In the new market, brand positioning evolves with customer’s personalized experiences.
3. MANAGING CUSTOMER DIVERSITY
Consumer’s experiences of a certain product or service are different – therefore their judgment of that product will vary according to their skills, user’s sophistication, privacy and security. Globalization in the marketplace also heightens the variation in customer sophistication.
4. COCREATING PERSONALIZED EXPERIENCES
Customers are no longer just interested with the product but rather, want to shape the experience around themselves, both individually and with with the experts. Customization and Personalization is different. Customization assumes that the manufacturer will design the product to suit a customer’s needs while Personalization is about the customer becoming a co creator of the content of their experience.
Oar fish large, greatly elongated, pelagic lampriform fish. It is the longest bony fish and they live at the bottom of the ocean. There have been tales that a sighting of an oar fish connoted disaster such as an earthquake. These unusual creatures have been known to wash ashore on beaches after storms, providing endless hours of fascination for curious onlookers. They also have a habit of floating near the surface of the water when they are sick or dying.
Why? According to Japan Times’. Kiyoshi Wadatsumi, a scientist who studies earthquakes at the nonprofit organization, “Deep-sea fish living near the sea bottom are more sensitive to the movements of active faults than those near the surface of the sea.”
An unusual number of oarfish washed ashore in December 2009 to March 2010 off Japan. According to LiveScience, “Shortly before the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami [March 11, 2011] struck Japan, about 20 oarfish stranded themselves on beaches in the area.”
However, HJ Walker, from the Scripps Institution of Oceanography in California, said “If there is a enormous giant earthquake beneath the sea, other fish would be affected – not just one or two oarfish.”
But last July 26, 2015, an oarfish was seen washed ashore in Antique, Philippines. Could this be a sign? Is this why the country is very active on propagating and preparing everyone for a possible earthquake? I hope not.