OMG YOU GUYS! I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! (Yes, I need that much exclamation point)
I am ABSOLUTELY INVESTED and DEFINITELY ATTACHED to the CHARACTERS and the STORY! ❤ ❤ ❤
I don’t know how and where to begin! There’s so much I want to discuss! But if there’s anything that I picked up from the life of Evelyn Hugo? It’s this:
Life is Short. Don’t hide what and who you are and never be ashamed of telling the whole world how much a person means to you and if you want something, do everything it takes to get there.
But if you will just base the book from what I have written above, I am falling short. The book offers SO MUCH MORE that I can ever explain in just words. Know that whatever Reid releases next, I promise to read them – that ‘s how much I love the book.
It tackles the darkest secrets of Hollywood, what happens behind closed doors, sexuality, race, talent, misogyny, motherhood, abusive relationships and romance.
It feels like entering the the very private and exclusive world of A-listers. The characters feels so real. The very first thing that pulled me in the the character of Evelyn and one of the first things that admired her character is how SHE DOES EVERYTHING IN HER POWER TO GET WHAT SHE WANTS and it was seen in several instances:
- Learn to grab life by the balls, dear. Don’t be so tied up trying to do the right thing when the smart things is so painfully clear.
- When you’re given an opportunity to change your life, be ready to do whatever it takes to make it happen. The world doesn’t give you things, you take things. If you learn one thing from me, it should probably be that.
- You know what you want and you go after it.
- Everything you have, you went out and got for yourself.
- First, you have to push people’s boundaries and not feel bad about it. No one is going to give you anything if you don’t ask for it.
I also admire her for being so resilient. She has been hated and reputation and character has been tainted a couple of episodes in her life but that never wavered her. She does what she needs to, to be able to rise again.
Her relationship with Harry Cameron is one of the things I treasure most. ❤ I think it is highly difficult to actually find someone that you can trust in the world of Hollywood. I love how they grew to be each other’s best supporter, best friend, confidant, cheerer and critic. I love how they treated each other as family and actually lived a life as husband and wife and how until the very end of Harry’s life, Evelyn still protected the image of Harry, her soulmate and best friend. ❤
- I have never doubted that you could do a single thing you put your mind to.
- I think you’re brilliant and I think you’re tough.
- I like the Evelyn Hugo who sees the world for what is is and then goes out there and wrestles what she wants out of it. Just don’t change. That would be the real tragedy.
- You don’t know how fast you have been running, how hard you have been working, how truly exhausted you are, until someone stands behind you and says, ‘It’s okay, you can fall down now. I’ll catch you’. So I fell down and Harry caught me.
- I am positive that I need you more than I ever needed another living soul.
And the LOVE OF HER LIFE, CECE! Cecilia St. James. ❤ The struggle to be in each other’s life, the banter, the difficulties that they had to face, the on and off relationship for years and finally ending up in each other’s arms. ❤ Ahhhh! I love them together. ❤ The challenge to let people understand your sexuality and not be put into just one box, a label.
- I thought you were the most gorgeous woman who had ever been created and we should all stop trying.
- You are intolerable, let me be the one to tolerate you.
- You could be a nobody living in a cardboard box and I’d still love you.
- I only wanted to celebrate with you. Nothing means anything without you. Everything that isn’t you is a pile of dog shit.
- My Dearest Cece, please never forget that the sun rises and sets with your smile.
- I’d give it all up, you know. All of it. The money and the jobs and the fame. I’d give it all up just to be with you, just to be normal with you. We’d have each other and that’s enough for me.
- There was always something intoxicating about the way Celia looked at me. I felt like a rare steak in front of a tiger. She was as much of a fix o me as any drug.
And let me just talk about the sexual prowess that Evelyn is.
- Evelyn always leaves you hoping you’ll get just a little bit more. And she always denies you.
- The world respects people who think they should be running it.
- The very definition of power? Watching people kill themselves over something that means nothing to you.
- I needed him. I needed to be seen. I come alive under his gaze.
I am telling you! There’s so much more to this book!!! ❤ ❤ ❤
- People don’t find it very sympathetic or endearing, a woman who puts herself first.
- People think intimacy is about sex. But intimacy is about truth.
- I’m bisexual. Don’t ignore half of me so you can fit me into a box.
- Never tell anyone anything more than you have to.
- Never let anyone make you fell ordinary.
- You don’t go throwing your weight around unless you’re sure you’ll win.
- Sometimes divorce isn’t an earth shattering loss. Sometimes it’s just two people waking up out of a fog.
- When you dig just the tiniest bit beneath the surface, everyone’s love life is original and interesting and nuanced and defies any easy definition.
If I have not said this enough, let me repeat it. I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! ❤ Comment below and let’s discuss her seven husbands! or any other part of the book! If you have not read this yet, Please do!
And if you like this post, please leave some love, like, comment and subscribe. ❤