GOODREADS: Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…
That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.
This book will let you experience butterflies in your stomach at one point and when you’re invested already, it will make you see pain, fear and trauma.
First, let me just put it out there:
- Everything about him causes my lungs to fail and heart to go into over drive.
- You can’t get mad at a real ending.
- Not everything is going to go my way and not everyone gets a happily ever after. Life is real and sometimes it’s ugly and you just have to learn how to cope.
- LIVE (Like + LoVE)
- When it’s you and me, Sky.. it’ll never be anything less.
- Life can’t be divided into chapters .. only minutes. The events of your life are all crammed together one minute right after the other without any time lapses or blank pages or chapter breaks because no matter what happens life just keeps going and moving forward and words keep flowing and truths keep spewing whether you like it or not and life never lets you pause and just catch your fucking breath.
- The bad things aren’t you. They are just things that happen to you. You need to accept that who you are and the things that happen to you, are not one and the same.
- Sometimes you have to choose between a bunch of wrong choices and no right ones. You just have to choose which wrong choice feels the least wrong.
- There will be days that I don’t think we’ll know how to survive. But we will. We will, because we have each other. So, I’m not worried about us. I’m not worried at all.
THE BANTER. ❤ ❤ ❤ I am fascinated with guys in the books who has a PHD in Banter. GAH. The way they twist their statements . . . ❤ ANYWAY, what I liked about this book is that it’s not just another romcom YA. It talks about the grief and devastation of a child who experienced a very traumatic sexual abuse at such a young age from her father. Alcohol, drugs and let alone depression will never be and should not be an excuse for anyone to sexually abuse someone. It haunts the victim and they carry it with them, no matter how long it has been.
I guess the only thing I didn’t like about the book is the romance part. I know I did say that I love the banter, but it’s just that. How can they fall in love in just 2 months and talk about forever? How can Sky feel ‘broken’ after just going out for 2 days? How can she feel devastated just because a guy refused to talk to her for a week? I mean, come on!! Get a grip! Sure, there were I love yous but I don’t really believe in Sky + Holder. 😛
It was an okay read but there was no I-can’t-put-it-down urge. Tho, I finished it in 2 days!