I stumbled upon an article about failed marriages and there it reveals links on the movies that characterizes failed marriages — so, intrigued. I downloaded this movie.
Instantly, it made me rethink of getting married. My first thought: How can a man loves you so much at once, then suddenly get stuck and left no trace of affection? It pains me just thinking about it.
A few realizations:
- It’s no secret that women like to give hints but not explicitly saying it to their partners. It’s no secret either that men, most of the time doesn’t have a clue. COMMUNICATE. I, for one would tell my SO that it’s okay for him to stay at home during our date days but deep down, all I’m wishing is for him to visit me, take me out and still spend the day with me because he wants to, because he can’t wait to see me and because he wants to be with me too even though I already told him that it’s okay. Most of the time, women say one thing but mean another. Ladies, speak up. The only obvious reason is your partner wouldn’t know if you don’t tell him. Men, get to know your partners, know when they’re being serious and look for the subtle hints.
- Determine your love language. It’s important to express your love the way your partner prefers it for a better chance of appreciation. May it be physical touch, vocal such as compliments, quality time, etc.
- BE OPEN. This goes hand in hand with communicating with your partner. If there’s a specific act that you want to try in the bedroom, a fantasy or a secret, tell it to your partner. If you disapprove, at least try then tell your partner the reason behind.
- TOUCH EACH OTHER. Just touch. Remember you once couldn’t keep your hands off of each other. A simple holding hands, a kiss on the cheek, a hug while washing the dishes or a hugging your husband from the back while he reads his newspaper will go long way.
- APPRECIATE EACH OTHER. When your wife prepares you a meal, appreciate it. She allotted her time preparing the food. It’s no like she had nothing better to do. When your husband provides for your family, appreciate it. There are a lot of men who are not responsible enough to provide for their families. When your wife cleans up after your laundry, prepares your clothes the next day, fixes the bed in the morning, appreciate her. She does this because she loves you and she wants to be a good for you. When your husband picks you up at work and drives you to work every morning, appreciate him. He woke up early too. He drove you to your workplace even though it’s out of his way. You get the picture. Appreciate your SO, before it’s too late. Appreciate the little things before you miss out on them. You will never really notice the small things they do not until you have a messy house and a disrupted life already.
- IT TAKES TWO. You are in a marriage for a reason. It is because you both have each other for everything. It means you both committed to a lifetime together. You both have to put an effort into the relationship. It takes work. It’s not all rainbows and unicorns.
Love, like I said. I promise to always try. I promise not to give up on us. I promise to be like Kay who will do everything to make our marriage work. I promise not to run when things get tough. I love you.