Think of it as the Notebook with a very minimal twist but with the same gruesome ending. As others have observed, you can always expect someone dead by the end of the story if it was written by Nicholas Sparks.
Okay, so same with the Notebook, the movie Best of Me is a love story that started out as two high school students fell in love with each other, the lady grew up in a wealthy family, the boy in a troubled family. The wealthy father offers a sum of money to the boy to leave his daughter because poor, troubled boys do not mix well with their rich, sophisticated daughters. The dismay and disapproval of the parents was carried by the daughters until the girl finally has another life. Boy meets Girl again after several years and they both tried to relive the love that was abandoned. They live on a fantasy temporarily, went back to their present life and then some tragedy happens at the end.
So what do I like about the movie?
- The girl was wearing nothing but dresses.
- The girl was the first one to make a move. – and it’s not so bad. Why do people judge a girl who makes the first move and call her out as promiscuous? Double Standards again.
- Dates are always involves nature and not malls or technology.—unlike today’s time where watching movies in big theatre malls with lazy boys was a thing. (as in the movie, afternoons would be spending time at the park, oversee the lake, cook dinner, dance in the livingroom or just talk in the bench outside the house)
- They have a secret spot above the water storage tank, and it’s their world and just theirs alone.
- The kindness and generous accommodation of the old man to strangers to the point of providing for his shelter, clothing, allowance and an abundance of love.
- The IT girl finally was in her right mind to finally be attracted to a man who has brains and not just some jock.
and what are the quote worthy lines?
- “That’s why I loved being with you. We could do the simplest things, like toss starfish into the ocean and share a burger and talk and even then I knew that I was fortunate. Because you were the first guy who wasn’t constantly trying to impress me. You accepted who you were, but more than that, you accepted me for me. And nothing else mattered– not my family or your family or anyone else in the world. It was just us.”
- Don’t take my advice. Or anyone’s advice. Trust yourself. For good or for bad, happy or unhappy, it’s your life, and what you do with it has always been entirely up to you.
- “Life was messy. Always had been and always would be and that was just the way it was, so why bother complaining? You either did something about it or you didn’t, and then you lived with the choice you made
- There’s a lot of magic between you too, ain’t no denying that. And magic makes forgettin’ hard.
- I want to wake up with you beside me in the mornings. I want to spend my evenings looking at you across the dinner table. I want to share every mundane detail of my day with you and hear every detail of yours. I want to laugh with you and fall asleep with you in my arms.
- I don’t know that I’ve ever felt as happy as I did that day, but then again, it was always like that when we were together. I never wanted it to end
- The truth is, the world isn’t easy for any of us. It never has been and it never will be.
- Everyone makes mistakes, even if some are worse than others. Accidents happen
- but then life had a way of stamping out that intensity of passion; she’d learned all too well that love wasn’t always enough.
- “You’ll make mistakes and struggle like everyone, but when you are with the right person, you’ll almost perfect joy, like you are the luckiest person who ever lived. And that means you’ll love and be loved…and in the end, nothing else really matters.
- Now it was coming to an end, and it was like he was watching the last flicker of light wink out in the darkness of an endless tunnel.
- memories are funny things. Sometimes they’re real, but other times they change into what we want them to be.
This though is one of the feel-good movies when you just want to curl in the couch and eat some popcorn on a lazy weekend. 😀