Another group of friends – or let’s say, acquaintance again in writing. 4 people crossed paths as they were all planning to jump of the famous suicide tower. Now their lives are interconnected to one another – and they feel a bond to each one stronger than the people who are close to them. The bond of desire to take their own lives.
1. Martin a celebrity who was imprisoned for sleeping with a 15 year old lost his wife and never sees his children, who is also almost out of a job. Everyone, inevitably judges him.
2. Maureen, a 40 year old single home who has no life, no work besides taking care of his son who is not normal. She wants to kill herself because of the guilt and her conscience: her thoughts are eating her; she would rather die than to take care of her son her whole life and not to have a life of her own. ”I was crying because all I wanted in the world, the only thing that would make me want to live, is for Matty to die”.
3.JJ, a failed musician, whose biggest goal in life is to become a famous musician together with his band. He lost his band and girlfriend at the same time. What pushes him off the ledge is his fear that he’ll be delivering pizzas all his life, and not being able to do what he loves most: music.
4. Jesse, a teenager who was left by his boyfriend. Her biggest source of depression: her sister is nowhere to be found.
Here are some of the things I think is noteworthy:
1. There are lots and lots of factors that push people over the edge; none of these factors are likely to make you feel anything but fucking miserable.
2. Knowing that you want to die makes you less scared.
3. Wanting to die seems like it might be a part of being alive.
4. There’s more than one way to be a loser. There’s sure more than one way of losing.
5. The trouble with my generation is that we all think we’re fucking geniuses. Making something isn’t good enough, and neither is selling something, or teaching or even just doing something. We have to BE something.
6. Oscar Wilde once said, One’s real life is often the life one does not lead.
7. Everyone needs a little time out.
8. Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
9. Why is it so much easier to leap into the void than to face up to what you’ve done?
10. Women are fucking maniacs, man.
11. She loved me, which struck me as an answer more likely to confuse and obscure than to illuminate.
12. Failure is a hurtful success, and is likely to provoke even more anger, because there’s no grief to water it down.
13. You know how if you lose something valuable, a wallet, or a piece of jewelry, you cant concentrate on anything else? Well, it feels like that all the time, everyday.
14. That was me, that was who I was, and I just feel empty and frustrated, and, and, See, when you know you’re good, you think that will be enough, that’ll get you there, and when it doesn’t.. What are you supposed to do with it all? There’s nowhere for it to go, and it was.. Man, it used to eat me up even when things were going okay, because even if things were going okay, I was’t on stage, and sometimes it felt like I needed to be, otherwise, I’d explode.
15. I’m dying of some disease that dries up all the blood in your veins and all your sap and everything that makes you feel alive.
16. You thought you were going to be someone, but now it’s obvious you’re nobody. You haven’t got as much talent as you thought you had, and there was no plan B, and you got no skills, no education, and now you’re looking at forty or fifty years of nothing. Less than nothing, probably.
17. Every unhappy situation had an unhappy opposite situation.
18. Hard is trying to rebuild yourself, piece by piece, with no instruction book, and no clue as to where all the important bits are supposed to go.