So I started reading this book Mid – October. And I don’t know why I only actually finished this one last week of December. It was quite interesting from the start – the way this 13 year old girl was able to paint a picture of how hell is in the eyes of Chuck.
To get you started, here are some places in Chuck’s Hell:
- Great Ocean of Wasted Sperm
- Swamp of Partial Abortions
- Swamp of Unwanted pregnancies
- Sea of Insects
- Great Plains of Broken Glass
- Endless array of Cages
- Steaming Mountain of Dog Piles
- Swamp of Rancid Perspiration
- Meadow of Unchecked Toenail Fungus
- Desert of Dandruff
- Volcano of Surly guffaws
- Thicket of Amputated Limbs
- River of Hot Saliva
You can also read the 18 quotes I picked from the book.
- Dying seems like the greatness weakness
- Death is one big mistake none of us ever plans to make.
- Hell occurs to me as a tad bit obvious and self-indulgent.
- You’d be foolish to count on people displaying high standards of honesty
- Girls tend to be terrifically smart until they grow breasts
- Adolescence occurs as a kind of Ice Age of Dumbness
- Nothing was a sin, just a poor life choice.
- One man’s god is another man’s devil.
- Hell is where your own desires take you, stealing you away from God and the original plans God had for fulfilling your soul’s perfection
- Admiration for any female who can present herself with such apparent lack of self consciousness, seemingly in complete disregard for how she might be judged and exploited by her audience.
- Reproducing is a kind of booster to keep us loving life.
- Every audience gets the performance it expects.
- Its stunning how having nothing to lose will build your confidence.
- It’s our attachments to a fixed identity that tortures us.
- Seldom do we break our stride in our relentless campaign.
- I am free to reinvent my story, revise myself, my world at any given moment.
- The greatest weapon any warrior can carry into battle is absolute certainty of her eternal soul.
- When we neglect to fear such a brittle monstrosity, we render it powerless.
A parent will always be a parent. They will always teach their child. Now the following are what Maddy’s parents preaches her.
- ”Every new maid wants to fold your underwear a different way.” – You have to stay smart and not let yourself be pushed around.
- ”Every audience gets the performance it expects.” – If you’d shown more gratitude and appreciation for the precious miracle of life, then life itself would’ve been more wonderful.
- ”You’ve got to strike while the flatiron is still hot.” – Dress yourself and Carry yourself well all the time.
- ”When you’re shooting on location, be ready for rain.” – You never know what fate will throw at you.
- ”Two lips and a tongue can tell you anything.”’ – Get all your deals in writing.
- ”If you don’t know what comes next, take a good long look at what came before.” – If you allow it, your past tends to dictate your future.
- ”Every garden looks beautiful in May” – Everyone is somewhat attractive when she’s young.
- ”The secret to being a good comedian is to never stop talking until you hear someone laugh” – Persevere, Be determined.
All in all, there is no drive to read the novel again. Like what the other reviews I read, it’s a Breakfast Club Movie written in Black and White in a different set up.